Preparations for Winter - Nov 15
Please see below a press release from Suffolk Highways about preparations for Winter. More importantly here is a link to the new video thats just been released today helping to explain what we do to prepare for winter.
Advice from UK Power Networks
To report any power cuts and damaged lines on free helplines, please refer customers to the following numbers: In the South East call 0800 783 8866 and in the East of England call 0800 783 8838. You can also see www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk and follow the company on twitter for updates.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how our customers can prepare for a power cut:
- Keep our freephone number handy
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut.
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches – local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won’t work in the event of a power cut
- Dress warmly in several layers of clothing, stay in one room or even get into bed
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Look out for elderly neighbours; please consider taking them a flask of hot water round or hot food
Preparing for Winter
Are you prepared for power failures, telephone failures and possibly blocked roads?
How long could you manage without the electricity supply or the ability to recieve food d/fuel deliveries and/or get to the shops?
Do you have adequate fuel for open fires or solid fuel stoves?
Check that you have sufficient supplies and that it is stored somewhere dry.
Do you have alternative heating and lighting such as calor gas heaters, candles, gas lamps, torches, lighters or matches?
Do you have bottled gas to cook and bottled water to boil a kettle?
Even to fill up your hot water bottles!
Do you have at least one phone that is not a portable one?
The portable ones will not work without power.
If you have a mobile phone do you have an alternative means of charging it?
Your car perhaps, or even one of those "gadgets"! Remember that the receiving stations may cease working if they are without power for very long.
Do you have a suitable supply of food to keep you going for several days?
A few tins, some dried milk, as well as what you may have in your fridge or freezer – which you should wrap up to keep the cold in!
Do you have warm clothes if there is a loss of power is during the winter?
Keep some warm clothes and blankets nearby.
Do you have medication for at least a week?
Ensure that you have all you prescriptions submitted in plenty of time to guarantee your supplies.
Do you have a battery (or wind up) radio?
So that you have some idea of what is happening from Radio Suffolk, also spare batteries for that and your torches.
Do you have the mobile phone and land-line numbers, of your immediate neighbours, as well as your local parish councillor.
Make sure that your phonebook is up to date with the latest and correct numbers.
Is your water supply safe from frost?
Lagged where exposed or close to an outside wall? Don't forget to turn off the outside tap if loss of supply is during winter!
For advice on managing this type of risk, please see the attached guide, which is downloadable from this website.
Contact numbers for your Great Bricett Parish Councillors:
Cllr David Payne - 01449 740329
Cllr Ray Craddock - 01473 657387
Cllr Sue Burnett - 01473 658865 - Chair
Cllr Steven Hines - 01473 658948
A big thank you to everyone who responded to the Emergency Plan Questionnaire. The Emergency Plan has now been completed and a copy is held by the Joint Emergency Planning Unit.
It is not too late if you still feel you have skills and/or equipment you can offer in the event of an emergency, or if you feel you would need help and /or assistance should the need arise.